Bristol UK Postcards
Muller Orphange, Ashley Down, Bristol
This unused postcard has no other printed text.
A deeply religious man, George Fredrick Müller (German: Georg Friedrich Müller) (September 27, 1805 – March 10, 1898),cared for 10,024 orphans in his lifetime. He was well-known for providing an education to the children under his care, to the point where he was accused of raising the poor above their natural station in lifetime.
The work of Müller and his wife with orphans began in 1836 with the preparation of their own home at 6 Wilson Street, St. Pauls, Bristol for the accommodation of thirty girls. Soon after, three more houses in Wilson Street were furnished, growing the total of children cared for to 130. In 1845, as growth continued, Müller decided that a separate building designed to house 300 children was necessary, and in 1849, at Ashley Down, Bristol, that home opened. The architect commissioned to draw up the plans asked if he might do so gratuitiously.
By 1870, more than 2,000 children were being accommodated in five homes. Through all this, Müller never made requests for financial support, nor did he go into debt, even though the five homes cost over £100,000 to build. Many times, he received unsolicited food donations only hours before they were needed to feed the children, further strengthening his faith in God. Every morning after breakfast there was a time of Bible reading and prayer, and every child was given a Bible upon leaving the orphanage, together with a tin trunk containing two changes of clothing. The children were dressed well and educated - Müller even employed a schools inspector to maintain high standards. In fact, many claimed that nearby factories and mines were unable to obtain enough workers because of his efforts in securing apprenticeships, professional training, and domestic service positions for the children old enough to leave the orphanage.
The buildings are now part of the City of Bristol College, Brunel Campus.
This page created 13th February 2010, last modified 13th February 2010