Terre Haute Postcards - Goodie Shop Cafeteria
More postcards from my collection...
Goodie Shop Cafeteria
This unused postcard has the following printed text...
A section of the dining room
Goodie Shop Cafeteria
666 Ohio St., Terre Haute, Indiana
Indiana's Finest
Serving Hours: 11:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M.
4:30 P.M. - 8:00 P.M.
Closed Sunday
35286-B
Pub. by Martin's Photo Shop, 681 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute,
Indiana
Made by Dexter, West Nyack, N.Y.
Goodie Shop Cafeteria
This unused postcard has the following printed text...
A portion of the cafeteria counter and
one section of the dining room
The
Goodie Shop Cafeteria
666 Ohio St., Terre Haute, Indiana
Indiana's Finest
Serving Hours: 11:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M.
4:30 P.M. - 8:00 P.M.
Closed Sunday
35285-B
Pub. by Martin's Photo Shop, 681 Wabash Ave., Terre Haute,
Indiana
Made by Dexter, West Nyack, N.Y.
Goodie Shop Cafeteria Matchbooks
These matchbooks are from the cafeterias at 24 South Sixth Street and 666 Ohio Street (Boulevard).
The inside of the Sixth Street matchbook has the text...
Goodie Shop
Cafeteria Service
From 7 A.M. to 8 P.M.
Open Sundays
The inside of the Ohio Street matchbook has the text...
666 Ohio Street
Mr. & Mrs. Martin
Goodie Shop Cafeteria Matchbook
This matchbook has the following printed text...
Goodie Shop Cafeteria
Mr. & Mrs. George E. Martin
Kenneth Hayes - Manager
Serving Hours
11.00 A.M. to 2.00 P.M.
4.30 P.M. to 8.00 P.M.
Closed Sunday
Goodie Shop Cafeteria Matchbook
This matchbook has the following printed text...
Goodie Shop Cafeteria
Mr. & Mrs. George E. Martin
Kenneth Hayes - Manager
Serving Hours
11.00 A.M. to 2.00 P.M.
4.30 P.M. to 8.00 P.M.
Closed Sunday
Goodie Shop Cafeteria Matchbook
This matchbook has the following printed text...
Enjoy life - eat out more often
Goodie Shop Cafeteria
666 Ohio St. Terre Haute, Indiana
Releax in restful lounge
Enjoy delicious food in beautiful dining room
Owners Mr. & Mrs. Geo. E. Martin
Air conditioned for your comfort
The following comes from a story in the Tribune Star of February 16, 2008...
George and Edna Martin had reason to be proud of their establishment at 666
Ohio Street, as theirs was a story of success in the restaurant business. It
began in 1922 when George Martin met Edna Gutherie while both worked at the Bob
Hicks Bakery at 114 N. Seventh St. They fell in love, married, and, with Fred
Paitson, opened a delicatessen near the campus of Indiana State Teachers
College. As the business grew, the Martins bought out their partner and, in
1929, moved to 110 N. Seventh St. Still needing more space for a cafeteria-style
restaurant, their next move was to 24 S. Sixth St. They could now seat 98
people.
While looking to expand and learning more about efficient techniques and cost
control, the Martins' dream came true as, in 1950, they opened the Goodie Shop
Cafeteria on Ohio Street. During the 1950s and 1960s, the restaurant was open
six days a week, Monday through Saturday. It was open for lunch from 11 a.m. to
2 p.m. and again for dinner from 4:30 to 8 p.m. it served an average daily crowd
of 1,600 to 2,000 people.
In the early 1960s, extensive remodeling took place. The three dining areas were
done in shades of turquoise, yellow, sage green and sand tones. Throughout the
restaurant, one could see ceremonial masks and brightly colored totem poles.
Separating the dining rooms were dividers of molded Plexiglas containing fishnet
and pictures of colorful fish. Standing in the waiting line, one was separated
from diners by planting boxes. The kitchen contained the very latest in food
preparation equipment.
George Martin, and later, son-in-law Kenneth Hayes, were familiar figures behind
the cafeteria line, as they carved prime rib of beef. The Goodie Shop had many
"regulars." A third generation of diners enjoyed the restaurant. Patrons had
their favorite entree. Prime rib with oven-browned potatoes never failed to
please the palate. For others, it might be fried haddock fillet, salmon patties
with creamed peas, or chop suey. The homemade pies, cakes and hot breads were
memorable. Whatever the choice, the Goodie Shop Cafeteria could be counted on to
offer tasty food in pleasant and pristine surroundings.
George Martin died in 1986 and his wife in 1987. The Goodie Shop was renamed the
Martin House. It closed in 1998.
This page created 5th February 2009, last modified 17th May 2009