Bristols Worldwide

Bristol, Texas, USA

The area was first settled in the 1840s by Joshua Brock of Missouri. The community was first called Brockville and a post office operated under that name from 1854 to 1869. The name Brockville was a result of Joshua Brock who was the town's first postmaster general. Later, the community was unofficially known as Heelstring. The town itself was located on the banks of the Trinity River. This area is commonly referred to as the, "River Bottoms", by local residents. The town was destroyed by a fire in the late 1800's and relocated to the current location.

Around 20 years later, Captain Steven Mills came to the area and opened a store. Having done business in Bristol, England, he named the store Bristol and the community eventually adopted the name. By 1890, Bristol had grown into a farming community of approximately 200 residents. The population peaked at around 300 in the early 1930s and declined thereafter. The community continues to serve as a supply and service center for area farmers and local beef ranches.

Bristol (Ellis County TXGenWeb)

Bristol (USGenWeb - Internet Archive)

Bristol School (Historical Marker Database)

History and Development of Bristol, Texas (Texas State Historical Association)